Elliander Pictures
The Mysterious Disappearance of M.M.Bayliss
The Mysterious Disappearance of M.M.Bayliss is an homage to classic Victorian ghost stories and the weird tales of the Twilight Zone serials.

A young man is woken one night by a set of haunted keys that float before him. Guided through his empty house by the possessed keys, he discovers a dark room hiding an even darker secret.

This short film was shot on only 800ft of 16mm Fuji-film to achieve the distinct and unique aesthetic audiences associate with the classic ghost films of the past.

Click the Poster to download the Press Kit for the movie or click here.

Production Notes

Shooting Film: Small Crew, Fast Paced, High Stakes.

It's probably fairly clear from the credits listed that this project was undertaken by a small number of people; five to be precise.

It's safe to say it was a (very) low budget production. We called on favours, borrowed equipment and covered the minimal costs that were involved from our own pockets.

It all started when my brother and I were bought, as a gift, two rolls of 16mm Fuji Film with the initial intention of getting some experience shooting film camera tests. Not content with "wasting" the film on camera tests, given the ever increasing scarcity of the format, we decided to come up with a short, entertaining story that fit the criteria - we had 2x 400ft loadings of 16mm, which equates to roughly 22mins, so it was clear that we would have to keep things relatively simple. We immediately wrote off the idea of any dialogue or sound recording, partly as it opened the door to potential retakes due to dialogue fumbles but mainly because the Arriflex we shot on wasn't particularly quiet! We used what was available to us and decided to create a Twilight Zone-esq short story that would hopefully have some charm to it. We did a quick storyboard and calculated that we could just about squeeze a 9.5min short out of the two rolls (with enough room for retakes and rolling on/checking the gate after each shot).

The whole experience was one that we will not forget and hopefully repeat in the future. The small four person crew worked quickly and efficiently; knowing that there was "more at stake" when the camera rolled pushed all our standards to a new level. Battling stubborn keys on string that just wouldn't stay where we wanted them (yes... very old school), a box that wasn't really big enough for our actor to get inside and a homemade double-wicked candle that seemed to have a vendetta against him (hot wax!), we pushed to get everything we needed on the minimal amount of film stock we had available. A 2:1 shooting ratio is something we were very proud of, and still are, in fact we over shot slightly and ended up leaving two shots on the cutting room floor!

From start to finish, the project was thoroughly enjoyable. It pushed our understanding and standards, and challenged us to try just that bit harder to hopefully make the final film that bit better.